What do burglars steal the most?
Common items Stolen in Home Burglaries
As a security consultant and managing director of Eurotech Security Systems, I have seen first-hand the devastating effects of burglaries on homeowners and businesses. While every burglary is unique, one common question we get asked is: what do burglars steal the most? In this article, I will share some insights on the most commonly stolen items during burglaries in the UK.
- Cash and jewellery: It’s no surprise that cash and jewellery are two of the most commonly stolen items during burglaries. These items are easy to carry, valuable and can be sold quickly on the black market. Burglars often target jewellery because it is small and easy to conceal, and cash is always a target because it is easily converted into something else.
- Electronics: Electronics are another popular target for burglars. Items such as laptops, tablets, smartphones, and televisions are all valuable and easy to sell. Burglars may also target gaming consoles, cameras, and other electronics as they can fetch a high price.
- Medication: Prescription medication is another item that is often targeted by burglars. Medication can be expensive, and some drugs have a high street value. Burglars may steal medication for personal use or to sell on the black market.
- Clothing and accessories: While clothing and accessories may not seem like valuable items, high-end designer clothing, handbags, and watches can be worth thousands of pounds. Burglars may target these items as they are easy to sell online and have a high resale value.
- Alcohol: Alcohol may seem like an odd item to steal, but it is actually a common target for burglars. Burglars may steal expensive wines and spirits to sell on the black market or to use for personal consumption.
Conclusion: While burglars will steal anything of value, these are the most commonly stolen items during burglaries in the UK. As a security consultant, I advise homeowners and businesses to take steps to protect their property and belongings. Installing a security system with cameras and alarms can act as a deterrent to burglars and increase the chances of catching them if a break-in does occur. It’s also essential to keep valuables out of sight and securely locked away. By taking these steps, you can reduce the risk of being targeted by burglars and protect your property and belongings.