What is the Most Common Way Burglars Break In?
Hello, my name is Peter and I am the owner of Eurotech Security Systems and have over 40 years of experience working in the security sector. Our company specialises in providing comprehensive security solutions to both residential and commercial properties. As an expert in this field, I have seen first-hand the devastating effects that burglaries can have on individuals and businesses. That’s why I am passionate about sharing my knowledge and advice to help people protect themselves and their properties.
Home invasion is a nightmare for every homeowner. Burglars and thieves can break into your home at any time, regardless of the security measures you have in place. While many homeowners believe that their home is safe from intruders, it’s essential to understand the most common way burglars break in and what you can do to prevent it.
According to research, burglars tend to choose homes that are easy to access, with minimal security measures in place. Some of the most common ways burglars break into homes include:
- Unlocked Doors and Windows: Believe it or not, many burglars gain entry into homes through unlocked doors and windows. These types of burglaries are common during the summer months when homeowners leave their windows open for ventilation.
- Forced Entry: Burglars can also break into homes by forcing open windows, doors, or locks. They may use crowbars, hammers, or other tools to gain entry.
- Breaking Glass: If a burglar cannot find a way to enter through doors or windows, they may resort to breaking glass. This method is often used when there are no security cameras or alarms to alert the homeowner or neighbours.
- Lock Picking: Some burglars may have the skills to pick locks and gain entry without causing damage to the door or lock.
- Impersonation: Burglars may pose as service workers or delivery people to gain access to a home. They may pretend to be delivering a package or conducting a repair, then use the opportunity to gain access to the home.
To prevent burglaries, it’s essential to take steps to secure your home. These steps include:
- Installing a Security System: A security system can deter burglars and alert you and the authorities when an intrusion occurs.
- Securing Doors and Windows: Ensure all doors and windows are locked when leaving your home, even if you’re just running a quick errand.
- Installing Security Cameras: Security cameras can help identify burglars and provide valuable evidence to the Police.
- Being Vigilant: Always be aware of your surroundings and suspicious activity in your neighbourhood. Report any suspicious activity to law enforcement immediately.
- Keeping Valuables Out of Sight: Keep valuables such as jewellery, electronics, and cash out of sight from potential burglars.
In conclusion, it’s crucial to understand the most common ways burglars break into homes and take steps to secure your home. By being vigilant and taking appropriate security measures, you can prevent burglaries and keep your home and family safe.